I just inhaled this like my name was Dyson.

**This was posted in '11 when I was still a darksided vegetarian. It's really easibly veganizable, so it stays. Hey, we all have to start somewhere!
So, my sis texted me about some delish dish she had - basil wrapped salmon w/ lemon & cayenne. I'm pretty much a vegan, but I said I'd find a way to recreate it vegetarian-style which I knew included good-old butter. (I'm sorry - but I haven't found any good vegan butter substitutes.) Also, I try not to because of the sodium, but I will throw down on some good grocery store meat substitutes. There's also this place in New York called Meh Wey that ships all sorts of substitutes - vegan squid, veggie salmon/tuna/steak etc. I'm gonna place a new order to do my sis' recipe, but in the meantime, here's my take. Enter Quorn brand 'Chick'n Cutlet's & Dollar Tree aluminum foil! I did a gig at a Farmers Market this A.M and I got tons of veggies so I incorporated them in the dish. Without further ado, here's my recipe for Tortilla Lime Cayenne Crusted (insert protein o' choice), sweet peas & fresh salsa. Note: my recipes are for 1 (the SOLO-tarian, duh) so just adjust if you're cooking for more.

What you're gonna need:
1 Protein of choice fillet (I used Quorn chick'n cutlets, but use whatever tickles your pickle.)
2 tablespoons Egg Beaters (I'll tell you why I use Egg Beaters at another juncture.)
2/3 cup AP flour
2/3 cup super crushed tortilla chips
1 teaspoon of cayenne (use less if you're a wimp.)
1/2 teaspoon of Tapatio Hot Sauce
1 teaspoon of super duper finely diced basil
Dash of garlic powder
Big pinch of cracked black pepper
Adobo seasoning to taste
juice of one lime
Sweet peas with basil butter
1 cup sweet peas (frozen)
1 tablespoon butter
Bunch of basil (chopped finely, use as much/little as you like.)
Dash of nutmeg
Salt & Pepper to taste
Cherry tomato salsa
6 cherry tomatoes
Finely chopped jalapeno (according to taste)
2 teaspoons finely chopped sweet onion
Squirt of lime juice (to taste)
As much cilantro as you'd like (save some for garnish.)
A few basil leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

Here's all ya do:
Dice up stuff for salsa, place in a bowl and chill. Like, in the fridge. You can chill, too if you want. Salsa can always be made the day ahead.
Preheat oven to 375
*Whip Egg Beaters with hot sauce and lime juice
*Coat protein in mixture
*Next dip protein in bowl with crushed tortillas, flour and spices. Throurghly coat
*Re-dip in egg mixture, and then re-coat with tortilla/flour mixture
*Lightly spray aluminum foil with cooking spray, butter, oil, whatever.
*Place fillet on foil and bake about 20 minutes, until golden brown
*Note: I'm cooking this chick'n from frozen, adjust your temp based on the type of protein.

In small pot, bring about 4 tablespoons of water to a boil. Add butter, basil, nutmeg, salt & pepper. Add peas, reduce heat to medium-high, cover & steam until cooked thoroughly. Won't take long - just watch the heck outta them.
That's really it!
I rested my protein on a bed of the sweet peas and topped with lime, cilantro and fresh tomatoes & salsa. Such an easy dish, but my gosh - YUMTASTIC. If I wasn't a lazy bum right now, I'd do a totally vegan version for my veeg-peeps. You'll have to figure it out on your own this time. Hope you enjoy. And seriously, cooking is a relaxing adventure. Don't worry about being perfect - just get in the kitchen and have FUN!
With love (and a really full tummy)
Tish

Who'd know this bad boy was oven-baked?

Look at those beautiful tomatoes. I just sliced & used them as a salsa boat.

Simple Tapitio Salsa dresses up the place.

Popular Posts