Faux fish tacos

Editor's note: This was written when I was still a vegetarian. Although my beliefs have changed, my palate has not. I will be posting the vegan remix soon. :)

Serves 4-
4 Vegetarian Cod Fish Fillets, found here. -2 cups seasoned flour (If you're too lazy to make your own, click me.) -1 cup milk
-1 large brown egg (I guess it doesn't have to be brown, but that's what I use so just go with it.) -2 tablespoons Tapatio-brand hot sauce
-8 Ole-brand white corn tortillas-2 cups shredded red cabbage
-4 cups vegetable oil. -1/2 cup Cacique-brand Crema Mexicana (I suppose you could use regular sour cream, but this is just used for a drizzle, so crema is better, and more delicioso!.) -1/2 cup Cacique-brand Cotija cheese for sprinkling-Lime wedges
______________________________________________________________________________For Pineapple salsa (This can be made the day ahead and stored. Just mix it all together and voila! Instant yuminess.)
-2 cups diced canned or fresh pineapple (with juice)
-1 small to medium jalapeno, finely diced (You can remove the seeds if you're a wimp.)
-1/4 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
-1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
-1/3 cup finely diced red onion
-Juice of one lime
-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
-Goya-brand Adobo w/cumin seasoning and fresh cracked pepper to taste
________________________________________________________________________________-Whisk milk, egg, and hot sauce together until completely blended. (Have seasoned flour bowl ready)
-Slice de-thawed cod fillets into bite sized pieces
-Place cod pieces in egg/milk mixture and coat evenly
-Add oil to large frying pan on med high
-One at a time, add cod to seasoned flour, thoroughly coating each
-Carefully place cod into oil and fry until golden brown (For veggie fish, should be about 6-7 minutes - not long at all)
-While fish is frying, heat tortillas. (I'm a big fan of the stove method. I just lay them on a med-low stove eye until they're pliable. Maybe 10 seconds per side.)
-Remove fish from oil and lay on kitchen towel or paper towels to get rid of some of that oil!
-Assemble tacos with a few fish pieces, handful of shredded cabbage, pineapple salsa, and a tiny bit of crema and cheese.
Garnish with lime wedges, and go to the mailbox to get your Thank you card from your tongue.

You're welcome,
tish
p.s. *These tacos are especially scrumptious with my Cayenne black beans and Saffron rice. I'll give you that recipe after you promise to buy my upcoming CD. Oh, and you CANNOT have this dish without my world-famous Key Lime Mojitos. (You got it - go tell all your friends about www.tishlyndsey.us, and that delicious drink is yours. You share, I share. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts